We're having a blast over at the Command+Edit FB Group!
Pop in and see what's going on. Discussions on post production, meet new editors, get your questions answered or be a smartie-pants and answer someone else's.
Do you attend conferences on your own time or your company's time? Do you feel like you are benefitting a lot from the ones you go to?
A little later than usual this week (because Nick traded his editing-at-desk job for a week to work on set of a horror feature) this episode is about all of those post-production conferences that are held throughout the year.
NAB, SXSW, SIGGRAPH and IBC are among the bigger ones you've likely heard of but there are many, many others that you could be attending. If you're antisocial or not a networking person you may not attend many right now, but you should because they can help you out in a lot of ways: expand your network of other post professionals, pick up new skills to boost your editing game, stay on top of new announcements and emerging technology and cement your position (both online and offline) as an expert in your field.
We list off some conferences that are worth attending, how to create a "plan of attack" to get the most of your time spent there, create a hitlist of people you want to meet, and other ways you can increase the returned value of getting out to more cons.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Josh previously wrote an article on his Edit Video Faster site about whether or not you should go to conferences. (http://www.editvideofaster.com/conferences-yesnomaybe/)
- Premium Beat has a great list of the top conferences/festivals that you should consider attending.
- 5 Ways to Make Conference Networking Easier
- How to Get the Most Out of a Conference
- How to Network at Conferences Without Feeling Creepy
Support the podcast by leaving us a review if you like what you're hearing.