So we may have had a brief hiatus there. Life gets in the way, work piles up, but we've still got episode that we want to give to you. (Besides you're probably still keeping busy paying attention to NAB announcements, right?)
Thanks for waiting! Here is Episode 43 for you.
In this episode we address that question that every filmmaker gets asked at some point: "So do you make porn movies?"
For some reason often when you tell people that you are involved in the film industry they will associate your work with that of the adult, risqué type of cinema. It's annoying and it may be a simple misunderstanding or it could be potentially harmful for your career...or it could be entirely true. We're not here to judge.
To be completely honest I've worked with filmmakers who have experience in the adult film industry and they have been pretty open to discussing it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that line of work in my opinion. And it shouldn't prevent you from getting work in commercials, TV or feature films. Unfortunately not everybody will share this view so we should spend some time talking about how to deal with these situations when it comes up.
This opens to the door to discussing a load of other misconceptions about our work that we should be ready to correct:
- You're an animator? So you do cel/3D/motion graphics/every form of animation there is then?
- How much time does it take you to do your work? Why did it take you 1 hour to perform a task last time but then a full day another time?
- How specialized your skillset is: you may know how to edit, but you may not know how to produce
- And more
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Want to listen to us talk more about using After Effects as part of your workflow? Listen to Episode 23: After Effects & You
- 8 Filmmaking Myths You Should Stop Believing
- And because we're not hating at all on those who work in the adult film industry, here's a helpful article Porn: 6 Lesson for Filmmakers
- Don't forget to join the Command+Edit Podcast Facebook Group and get in on the conversation!
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CommandEdit
Join our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CommandEdit/
Get more of the podcast at http://www.CommandEditPodcast.com